[Last Updated: Mar 27, 2023]
The following is an agreement between BYSPIC and the Homestay Host and the Homestay Host’s Family. This agreement governs your relationship with BYSPIC in relation to every homestay and any supply of Services to Hosts by BYSPIC. By applying to be a Host, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Homestay Host Agreement. It is your responsibility to ensure that the terms and conditions of this Host Agreement are followed and obliged.
BYSPIC and the Homestay Host hereby agree to the following:
- Eligibility & Registration
1.1 All Hosts must agree and comply with the following
- I, the Homestay Host, have read the BYSPIC Homestay Application Package along with the terms and conditions, and agree to abide by them as a requirement of my participation in the BYSPIC Homestay program.
- The Host is a legally competent person over 25 years of age.
- The Host is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- All Host family members, living in the homestay, have no criminal record and are otherwise a fit and proper person of good reputation.
- The Host is not proceeding with bankrupt and is thus covered under a satisfactory insurance policy.
- The Host can provide the mandatory documents: photo ID, police clearance and void cheque
1.2 Applicants will be accepted and registered as hosts by BYSPIC subject to the fulfilment of the eligibility criteria, and otherwise by BYSPIC’s sole discretion. BYSPIC may cancel a person’s registration as a host if they are in breach of this host agreement, or at the request of that person.
1.3 The Host must notify BYSPIC immediately if the Host ceases to satisfy the eligibility criteria. If at any time the Host fails or ceases to satisfy the eligibility criteria, BYSPIC reserves the right to reject your application, cancel your registration as hosts, and immediately suspend or terminate this host agreement and any homestay.
2.1 BYSPIC provides hosts with the following services:
- Guest selection, recommendation and placement;
- Guest payment processing and administration;
- Support, advice, and complaints services; and
- A Homestay Management System offered via the official website of BYSPIC
2.2 BYSPIC may from time to time offer the Host the opportunity to host a guest in a homestay. However, all homestays are arranged on a case-by-case basis and may be subject to acceptance and approval by the guest/student or education provider. BYSPIC does not warrant or guarantee that hosts will be provided with the opportunity to participate in a homestay, or homestays of any minimum number, frequency, or duration.
- Homestay Conditions
3.1 The homestay must satisfy the below conditions:
- The home must be owned by a host, or leased by a host.
- The Host must be a permanent resident of the home.
- The home must be in good condition and well maintained.
- The home must be of a sufficient size, with a spare room for guests (which must have a door);
- The home has both a smoke and carbon monoxide detector. If not, the Host must agree to have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector, in good working condition, prior to the guests’ arrival.
- The home must be close to public transport and/or the educational institution in which the guest is enrolled; and
- Any other factor that BYSPIC considers relevant.
3.2 The Host is expected to abide by:
Before and after guest arrivals
- The Host should give confirmation of the placement request sent by BYSPIC via the website.
- If the Host Family is not at the place of residence when the Guest arrives, the Host Family must take any responsibility for any cause of expenses that the Guest may incur.
- On or before the first day of courses, the Host Family is advised to show the Guest how to get to the school and agency by TTC as well as other applicable forms of public transportation.
- The Host should provide a warm, inviting atmosphere where the Guest feels welcome.
- The Host must speak English when the Guest is present.
- The Host is advised to have interaction and communication with the Guest, especially during dinner time and/or it is advised to invite the Guest to the host’s family events in which all parties agree are of mutual interest and convenience.
- The Host is advised to allow the Guest access to public areas of the home, for example, the living room, kitchen and dining room.
- The Host is advised to allow the Guest access to a television and telephone (local calls are to be included; however, any long distance and/or international calls will be at the Guest’s own expense and responsibility).
- Guest Room and Internet
- The Guest’s room basic layout must include: a personal bed, desk and closet.
- Each of the Guest’s rooms must be screened and approved by BYSPIC. The Host agrees to keep each qualified room in the same condition once screened, during the stay of the Guests and/or when the room is vacant.
- The Host should not randomly move the Guest to a different room.
- If it is necessary for the Guest to change room, the Host has to notify BYSPIC before the Guest is moved to another room.
- The Host should provide a set of clean bed sheets to the Guest, and launder them up at least on a biweekly basis.
- The Host is suggested to provide Internet for the Guest, which is also included in the homestay fee. If the internet service for the home does not include unlimited data usage, monthly usage limits could be discussed between the Host family and the Guest. Any over usages will be on the responsibility of the Guest.
- Bathroom or washroom
- The Host must provide the Guest with bathroom tissue.
- The Host must clean the bathroom/washroom routinely to maintain a hygienic environment.
- The Host does not have responsibility to provide the Guest with shampoos, soap, dryers, towels, and any other products related to the Guest’s personal hygiene.
- The Host will provide at least two meals during the day; either breakfast or lunch however, dinner is mandatory.
- The Host may choose to pack lunches for the guest, or allow the Guest to prepare their own lunch, however, dinner is mandatory
- Dinner must be a well-balanced meal and prepared on a daily basis. For example, meat, rice, vegetables, and fruits.
- Fast food and frozen dinners are only acceptable on an occasional basis.
- The Host is advised to have dinner with the guest at least 3 times a week while providing a friendly and familiar feeling to the Guest during mealtime.
- The Host should provide the guest with a house key.
- The Host can enter the guest’s room when the Host gives appropriate notice to the Guest only for reasonable reasons which could be understandable by the Guest.
- BYSPIC will not be responsible for any loss of property, damage to furniture, or any household fixtures and objects within the home. BYSPIC will not be liable for any injury that occurs to the host family members or the guest.
- The host must produce proof of homeowners or rental insurance. Any issues of injury, occurred inside of the homestay property, will be the sole responsibility of the host to claim and provide coverage from their own homeowners or rental insurance.
- Special Clause for Minor Guest: Minor student is under 18 years old. In the event that the guest is a minor, the following clauses shall apply:
- The host shall provide packed lunches to the guest during their stay and do the laundry.
- The host shall not offer any legal advice or services regarding the minor guest’s guardianship or custody agreements. Any such discussions or offers shall result in immediate termination of this agreement.
- The host shall not interfere with the academic matters of the minor guests, including but not limited to their studies, school attendance, or academic progress. The host shall not offer any academic assistance unless specifically requested to do so by the guest or their legal guardian.
- All communication regarding the minor guest shall be directed to the agency responsible for their stay. The agency shall communicate with the legal guardian of the minor guest, except in urgent cases. In the event of urgent matters, the agency shall provide the guardian’s contact number to the host and request that they contact the guardian directly.
- 4. Fees & Payment
4.1 The fees must be paid to BYSPIC. Hosts must not collect any fees or payments directly from guests or any other party in respect of the homestay.
4.2 BYSPIC receives payment from the Guest for the homestay (Guest Payment) on behalf of the Host and will deduct BYSPIC service charge fee from any guest payment before remitting the remainder amount to the Host’s nominated bank account via electronic funds transfer within a reasonable time (Host Payment).
- This Service Charge Fee is paid to BYSPIC to confirm that a placement is required. It covers the cost of host training and assessment, and the work associated with the matching process. The fee is charged when any placements are occurred via BYSPIC and confirmed by the host.
- The service charge would be 10% of the paid Guest Payment, which includes the credit card company commission as well.
- One month stay in the homestay is equivalent to 31 nights.
- The extension is on a month-to-month basis.
4.3 The Host will be paid the Host Payment within 5-7 business days after the student check-in homestay.
4.4 Where a guest fails to pay the Guest payment, related with any placement not via BYSPIC, BYSPIC will not be liable for any unpaid Guest Payment or Host Payment.
4.5 If a host terminates a placement at any time, the Host remains liable for payment in full of the fees and for any refund or penalty payable by BYSPIC to the Guest or any third party in accordance with BYSPIC’s refund policy, though BYSPIC may waive this obligation at its sole discretion.
- Cancellation and refund are written in the below clause 5
4.6 The host shall receive payment for the homestay fee through the following methods:
- Cheque by mail: The delivery time of the cheque may be affected by Canada Post’s situation.
- TD Wire Transfer: If the host has TD Bank account, BYSPIC may make the homestay fee payment via TD Wire Transfer. The transfer shall be delivered no later than 3 days. The host shall provide the necessary account information to facilitate the transfer like Void Check.
- Cheque Pick-Up: The host shall make an appointment with the agency’s representative to pick up the check on the first day of the homestay period.
- For the first month of the guest’s stay, the payment will be ready for pick up after 7 days of staying.
- All the payment shall be made through the methods specified in this agreement. BYSPIC shall not be authorized to make any cash payments to the host for the homestay fee.
- Criteria for increasing Homestay Fee; The host may request an increase in the homestay fee if they meet the following criteria.
- The has maintained a consistently high score on the Guest Satisfaction Survey for at least six months.
- The host has to request the increase the homestay fee after at least 6 months working with BYSPIC.
- BYSPIC shall consider the host’s request and may conduct a Guest Satisfaction Survey to evaluate the quality of the homestay and the host’s performance. If the homestay and the host receive excellent scores, BYSPIC may approve the price increase.
- Any increase in the homestay fee shall not apply to guests who are currently staying with the host at the time of the increase. If the host wishes to apply the increased fee to current guests, they must provide at least three months’ notice in advance of the increase.
- If BYSPIC approves the increase, they shall notify the guests of the increase and provide them with the option to continue their stay at the increased fee or check out till the most recent homestay period. If the guests choose to check out, the host shall not be entitled any compensation or reimbursement
- Cancellation and Refund
5.1 The Host understands and is clear on the relevant refund and associated policies regarding these processes.
5.2 BYSPIC’s Service Charge Fee is non-refundable.
5.3 Pre-arrival Cancellation by Host
- When a host cancels any placement prior to the arrival of a guest, there will be a penalty by BYSPIC.
- When less than 2 weeks are left from the Guest’s arrival date
- If it is the Host’s first cancellation, the Host will have 7 days’ suspension time and will also be charged $100.00 as a penalty.
- If it is the Host’s second cancellation, the Host will have 14 days’ suspension time and also will be charged $100.00 as a penalty.
- The Host will have an unlimited temporary suspension time if it is the Host’s third cancellation, or the host has failed to pay any charged penalty.
- The Host should submit proper documents to prove the cancellation was unavoidable due to reasonable circumstances to avoid the suspension and/or penalty.
- In the event of suspension of the homestay or student check-out due to various reasons, the host shall provide a month notice at least to the guest. The notice shall be in writing and shall include the reason for the suspension or withdrawal and the effective date of the suspension or check-out.
5.4 Pre-arrival Cancellation by Guest
- The Host will receive a proper compensation amount for the cancellation, according to BYSPIC’s policy.
- If 7 to 13 days are left before the Guest’s arrival date, the Host will get 30% of the room fee amount as compensation.
- If 0 to 6 days are left before the Guest’s arrival date, the Host will get 33% of the room fee amount as compensation.
- No compensation will be given if the Guest submits proper documents to prove the cancellation was unavoidable due to reasonable circumstances.
5.5 Post-arrival Cancellations
- If a host cancels the placement after the Guest has arrived, the Host may discuss an appropriate refund amount with the Guest or the Guest’s own agent.
- All approved refunds will be paid to the Guest or the Guest’s own agent directly.
- Refunds will be provided upon request if the guests can provide solid, proven reasons for the refund. Refunds will be provided to the agency within 7 business days of the host’s agreement to the refund and the refund will be delivered by the agency to the guest.
- Confidentiality & Privacy
6.1 The Host and BYSPIC agree to keep confidential the terms of this Host Agreement and any information or material received in connection with this Host Agreement or a homestay and marked, or reasonably presumed to be confidential (Confidential Information).
6.2 Both Host and BYSPIC agree that they will not disclose any confidential information to any third party unless or until it:
- is or becomes publicly known through no wrongful act of the receiving party;
- is received from a third party (other than from or on behalf of a Guest, Host or BYSPIC) without restriction and without breach of any confidentiality obligation to the other party;
- is independently developed by the receiving party; or
- is required by law to be disclosed (provided that the other party is given advance notice of, and an opportunity to contest any such requirement).
6.4 BYSPIC bans use of any customer’s personal information for marketing and other purposes.
- 7. Termination
7.1 BYSPIC may terminate a homestay immediately on notice to the Host if the Host fails to satisfy the Eligibility Criteria; the home ceases to meet the requirements identified by BYSPIC under clause 3.1; or BYSPIC otherwise determines at its sole discretion that it is appropriate to terminate the homestay immediately in response to a request from a guest or related party.
7.2. The Host may otherwise notify BYSPIC of any complaint regarding a guest or homestay at any time, BYSPIC will use the appropriate means of action to resolve or assist the Host to resolve the complaint.